In New Canaan, Connecticut, Philip Johnson’s 1949 Brick House—a one-story brick building sited next to the Glass House—is being restored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The $1.8 million preservation project is by Mark Stoner, National Trust’s Graham Fund Architect, and the lauded general contractor Hobbs. Founded by Todd Hobbs, Hobbs was the Brick House and Glass House’s original contractor; the outfit constructed several of the modernist homes designed by the Harvard Five in New Canaan.
The 56-foot long, 900-square-foot Brick House is known colloquially as the Glass House’s “Guest House”—luminaries such as Phyllis Lambert and Andy Warhol both spent nights there. It’s
→ Continue reading at The Architect's Newspaper