Sea evacuations have begun to move tourists and locals to safety.
About 2,000 people, including tourists, were evacuated by sea, fire department spokesman Yannis Artopios said Saturday evening. He added that the hotels and rented homes evacuated “represent less than 10 per cent of the island’s tourist accommodations.” He added that all visitors had been evacuated without incident.
Three coast guard vessels, an army lifeboat, a special forces inflatable craft and 30 private sailboats helped with the evacuation.
Private passenger shipping company Blue Star has offered one of its ships to accommodate some of the evacuees, Artopios said.
“Care has been taken to accommodate all those that needed to be taken
→ Continue reading at Euronews