The Church of St. Porphyrius in Gaza City is Gaza’s oldest active church, built in the year 1150. On October 20, St. Porphyrius Church was struck by Israeli artillery, killing 18 people and injuring 20 more.
The church’s architecture was defined by its low-lying rectangular shape and half-domed roof. Its exterior was faced with marble and granite. Inside, the ornate ceiling depicted religious imagery and figures that have been painted on. It was renovated in 1856.
→ Continue reading at The Architect's Newspaper