When opened in 1877, Ohlsdorf park cemetery was located outside the city of Hamburg in Germany. Wilhelm Cordes was responsible for designing the western part of the park, creating a romantic landscape with ponds and meandering paths. After the Great War, the park was expanded under the supervision of landscape architect and then cemetery director Otto Linne. In 1930, the eastern section was completed using a more formal, geometric design. Hamburg has since grown to enclose the park, rendering further expansion impossible.
As the largest non-military cemetery in the world, Ohlsdorf has an impressive CV: some 230 gardeners, more than 100 different species of coniferous and deciduous trees, 12
→ Continue reading at World Landscape Architecture