This twin spired palace on the edge of the Danube, adjacent to the Elisabeth Bridge, was intended as a welcome to those crossing the bridge when it was built in 1902. A neo-baroque confection commissioned by royalty, Her Imperial and Royal Highness Maria Klotild of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, it quickly became a social hub in the city. Now after opening in late June as the hotel Matild Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Budapest, it aims to take that place in the Hungarian capital again.
The restored historic passageway within
→ Continue reading at Forbes